Fall 2023 Recruitment Sign-Up
Are you interested in learning more about the IFC and Greek Life on Campus? If so, then stay tuned to learn more from our IFC and chapter members in September for our Meet the Greeks Event!
Meet the Greeks: Fraternities and Sororities on Campus
Stay Tuned for Next Semester!
Registration for Recruitment is open!
Thursday, September 7th: Last day to register on Campus Director without a fine
Friday, September 8th: Bids can be released
Have a copy of your Unofficial Transcript on hand and either submit it to Campus Director or email IFC VP of Recruitment Mike Murray
(Required: at least 12 credits and a minimum GPA of 2.5)
We hope to see you in September!
Questions or concerns? Contact IFC VP of Recruitment Mike Murray
In Regard to Unrecognized Organizations
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the governing council of member fraternities at the University of Maryland (UMD). With that, the IFC has a responsibility of promoting the safety and success of all current, former, and future members of our council. It has come to the attention of the IFC that several organizations that are currently unrecognized are attempting to recruit new members to their organizations. The University of Maryland defines an unrecognized group as “a number of persons who are associated with each other as former members of an organization for which the Department of Fraternity & Sorority Life status has been revoked.” Any group recruiting not listed below is no longer affiliated with IFC or the Department of Fraternity & Sorority Life. These organizations include, but are not limited to: Phi Gamma Delta (“FIJI”), Alpha Epsilon Pi (“AEPI”), Phi Delta Theta (PDT) and Tau Kappa Epsilon (“TKE”). Within the last 24 months, the Department of Fraternity & Sorority life have removed recognition due to conduct or disciplinary issues. They have the potential to be unsafe and we advise all potential new members looking to join an IFC chapter to not join these organizations.
THE RECOGNIZED IFC CHAPTERS INCLUDE:
Alpha Delta Phi Alpha Sigma Phi Alpha Tau Omega
Beta Theta Pi
Chi Phi Delta Sigma Phi
Kappa Alpha Order Lambda Chi Alpha
Phi Kappa Psi Phi Kappa Tau Phi Sigma Kappa
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Sigma Alpha Mu Sigma Chi
Sigma Nu Sigma Phi Delta Sigma Phi Epsilon
Sigma Tau Gamma Theta Chi
Tau Epsilon Phi Zeta Beta Tau Zeta Psi
If you are interested in joining an IFC Chapter please start this process by creating a Campus Director account HERE.
If you have any questions regarding underground organizations or IFC Recruitment please reach out to:
Reilly Fay, President
Garrett Bruce, Chief Justice
Mike Murray, Vice President of Recruitment
Information for Fall 2023 Recruitment
IFC 2023 Fall RECRUITMENT
At UMD, there are 23 recognized Fraternities within the IFC, each founded on a unique set of principles and values. Recruitment is a time when potential new members get the opportunity to meet members of each of these chapters in order to identify where they believe they best fit. Throughout this “rush” period, which is typically about 2 weeks long, we encourage those interested in joining an IFC fraternity to interact with as many fraternities as possible in order to find the fraternity they want to join. In order to join a fraternity at UMD, there are several requirements: 12 credits, and at least a 2.5 GPA. While 2.5 is the minimum for the council, individual chapters might have a different GPA minimum, such as a 2.75. Be sure to ask every fraternity you speak with about their specific membership standards.
- Hello everyone! Please stay posted for forthcoming dates about fall recruitment!
FOR POTENTIAL NEW MEMBERS
- In September, you can begin making a Campus Director account (WHICH IS REQUIRED TO JOIN ANY IFC CHAPTER). The quicker you complete this the better. If you have any issues making an account, please reach out to me, my contact information is below.
- For your safety and the safety of the University of Maryland community, please be smart with your actions. If you have any questions regarding recruitment, feel free to reach out to me (text message is the best way to reach me). My contact information can be found below. I am looking forward to this semester’s recruitment!
IFC VP of Recruitment
Joining a fraternity is a big commitment, and can be a confusing process. Here are some frequently asked questions to help students and families navigate the recruitment process:
- How much does it cost to be in a fraternity?
- Each specific chapter sets its own dues for each semester. Contact the chapter directly to find out how much dues cost on average.
- Do I have to live in the chapter house?
- It is not a university requirement that members live in a chapter facility, however, individual chapters may have stipulations about members living in the house. For any chapter with a recognized facility (found on our Chapters page), there is a full-time professional House Director or Resident Director living in the house to support the men and the facility.
- What are the academic outcomes of joining a fraternity?
- One of the positive outcomes of being involved in a fraternity is the ability to manage schoolwork, relationships with other people, and the hard work and leadership that are central to the experience. Traditionally, we have seen over time that the all fraternity men’s average GPA is higher than that of all men at the University of Maryland.
- What support do fraternities receive from the university?
- Boasting a staff of 28, the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life is a dedicated team working to help steward the Greek community towards action that aligns with our values. The department includes 18 Resident Directors who live in chapter facilities, advisors who work directly with chapters and governing councils, a team dedicated to facility maintenance and growth, and folks working on special projects for the community such as sustainability, sexual assault prevention, and diversity and inclusion.
CHAPTER RECRUITMENT SCHEDULES
NOTE: Fraternities with missing information have either not submitted their recruitment schedule or are not participating in recruitment this semester
- Alpha Delta Phi
- Rush Chairs: Nick Delafuente (973) 713-3127
- Alpha Sigma Phi
- Rush Chair:
- Alpha Tau Omega
- Rush Chair: James Creed (201) 888-3522
- Beta Theta Pi
- Rush Chair:
- Chi Phi
- Rush Chair: Eric Reichenberg (201) 562-2005
- Delta Sigma Phi
- Rush Chair: Nicolas de Jesus (443) 632-4764
- Delta Upsilon
- Rush Chair: Ari Bailey (609) 577-2554
- Kappa Alpha Order
- Rush Chair: Joshua Etlinger (443) 756-3282
- Lambda Chi Alpha
- Rush Chair: Phil Hoerrner (973) 452-9368
- Phi Delta Theta
- Rush Chairs: Max Horowitz (424)-777-5518
- Phi Kappa Psi
- Rush Chair:
- Phi Kappa Tau
- Rush Chair:
- Phi Sigma Kappa
- Rush Chairs: Devin Furness (571)-512-2981
- Pi Kappa Alpha
- Rush Chair: Jacob Lichtenstein (412) 977-6533, Jake Haug (609) 712-6626
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- Rush Chair: Nick Daeschner (443)-987-5441
- Sigma Alpha Mu
- Rush Chair: Ryan Petersen (201) 316-3395, Dylan Josephson (732) 996-8478
- Sigma Chi
- Rush Chair:
- Sigma Nu
- Rush Chairs:
- Sigma Phi Delta
- Rush Chair: Connor Din (301) 980-5040
- Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Rush Chair: Josh Lumpkin (443) 591-6363
- Sigma Tau Gamma
- Rush Chair: Dean Pryor (301) 305-9236
- Tau Epsilon Phi
- Rush Chair:
- Zeta Beta Tau
- Rush Chair: Josh Polaneicki (917) 930-4395
- Zeta Psi
- Rush Chairs: Jack McGovern (860)-990-8565